A YouTuber saves the world, one tree at a time

As+a+student+makes+her+way+to+school%2C+she+encounters+this+heart+shaped+tree+that+reminds+her+of+Mr.+Beast%E2%80%99s+organization+Team+Trees.+

Lucia Martinez

As a student makes her way to school, she encounters this heart shaped tree that reminds her of Mr. Beast’s organization Team Trees.

Lucia Martinez, Staff Writer

About three weeks ago, a goal for all of humanity was set. 

This is a goal in which everyone can pitch in with a minimum of one dollar; a dollar a tree. 

All sorts of people came together, including company owners, creators, and innovators. A whopping 20,000,000 trees will be planted by January with the help of people across the world. There appears to be no way for someone to not benefit from this and how could they not, for it is a great cause. It is for everyone’s sake and at such a low price. 

Jimmy Donaldson, better known as Mr. Beast on YouTube, founded “Team Trees,”which is meant to plant 20 million trees by January 1 with the help of his supporters and others. Many people support his cause, which is why three weeks after starting it up, he has accumulated approximately 15 million dollars towards the organization in order to plant the trees.

It is known, if not well known, that the climate conditions of earth are not where they need to be, and we have heard about it countless times, either on the news or perhaps by a biology teacher. 

NASA even states, “Just in the last 650,000 years, there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 7,000 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization.” 

However, people like Mr. Beast seem to take this into consideration when creating content for his followers. 

Sophomore Sergio Tovar thinks Team Trees is a good thing.

“If they reach more than their goal of 20,000,000 trees, it’s not going to make a huge effect, but if they keep cooperating and continue this after their goal, it can definitely cause a huge change in the environment,”he said.

Sophomore Miguel Cruz isn’t so sure.

“With the number of trees that are cut down daily, it probably won’t be successful, but it really would send a message,” he said.

Biology teacher Ms. Groff is very well-informed about climate change problems and the ways in which we can contribute to making the world a better place to live in. 

“I just don’t want people to think that conserving energy is about just planting trees, it’s also about changing our behavior in our lives. Changing human behavior is very difficult and just little changes make a big deal when we all put it together. Changing the way we think about things is really critical,” she said.

Groff says there are other things to consider. 

“Converting regular light bulbs to LED bulbs actually saves more energy than planting one tree, but it is very important for many reasons to plant trees. To provide habitats for all the different organisms to have homes and places, not just about energy,” she says. 

While acknowledging the importance of planting trees, she adds the importance of conserving energy for the whole earth. 

Both Groff and Tovar believe that more people need to get involved with our world problems.

“The more people that get involved, the quicker we get our goals completed,” Tovar said.

“We can’t only think about ourselves because we all live on this planet together and we all have a responsibility to help one another,” Groff said.

Freshman Isabella Silva would be willing to do her part and contribute a dollar. 

“I would donate a dollar because I think that it’s really good that these types of organizations are there to help the earth,” she said. 

She also is aware of climate change and the reason that this organization started, which in a way is for the prosperity of future generations. 

“Climate change affects me because we are the future so we want to make sure that we keep the earth as healthy and as clean as possible,” Silva said.