Filed under News, Showcase

Never the answer, despite the question

The

The "Amanda Todd" case was among the first to have introduced a video that detailed the individual's experience. The YouTube video went viral.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

One could easily look to such cases as the “Amanda Todd” case in 2012 and the “Gabriel Taye” case in 2017, both famous cases where youths were attacked by bullying and in turn had suicidal thoughts, to see how people have fought and lost the mental battle with the idea of suicide. However, these two tragic teens haven’t been the only ones affected; statistics from the Center of Disease Control and Prevention show that there have been 1,300 teenage deaths relating to suicide since 2000.

Creative Commons                                  

Based on the information, about two teenagers have died of suicide every five days for over the course of the last 18 years. Although the numbers sometimes can be sporadic, the data shows a trend that is threatening to break statistical records never thought possible before now. The latest data comes at a time when social media and shows such as Netflix’s “13 Reasons Whyare under fire for potentially correlating to a spike in the number of suicide-related internet searches last spring, according to a study published in JAMA Internal Medicine. You may wonder how just a simple TV show such as Netflix’s “13 Reasons Why” might drive a person to the brink, but the evidence shows that internet searches like “suicide hotline” and “suicide prevention,”  rose about 12 percent and 23 percent higher respectively. But the real issue lies with phrases such as “how to commit suicide,” which were drastically up 26 percent.

But why? Why do people weigh the option between life and death? The answer can vary. From relationship issues to self-esteem issues, the variation from individual to individual matches the variation between snowflakes; never the same but each as impactful as the last. When asked about the relationship between teenagers and the media, MCHS’s own counselor Ms. Jessica Vasquez stated, “I feel as if teenagers are the most susceptible to these thoughts due to the outstanding messages that music and the media lay in today’s youth culture.”

Although victims sometimes feel as if they’re alone, there are countless programs and individuals that will take the time to listen. For example, SAUSD is home to its own suicide prevention program started by Executive Director of Pupil Support Services Heidi Cisneros. This program is titled “We Care” and is aimed to provide trust between students and their families and school staff and encourage those who are struggling with sadness, depression and other issues to seek immediate professional help. Parents, teachers, police officers, and SAUSD staff have been gathering for the last year to release a full-fledged campaign. The video recording and related outreach efforts that will debut in 2018 are the district’s response to a 21% increase nationwide in suicide rates among those 16 and younger.

Going back to the idea of feeling alone, please remember that that’s never the case. When the times get rough and it seems as if there’s no hand willing to pull you up out of the thoughts that swallow you whole, always remember that one day those thoughts won’t choke you. That one day you’ll be able to rise above and say, “I survived.” If you don’t know where to go, that’s okay…it’s better to start slow and go somewhere then not start at all.

Suicide is an epidemic that’s not only harming our community but our society and even our world as a whole. It’s an issue that’s as complex and undiscovered as the human mind and as ignored as a transparent smudge on a window. Despite its complexity, suicide can affect everyone despite their mental health, social standing, and friend count.

For more information on SAUSD’s WE CARE initiative: 

https://www.sausd.us/site/default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=1&ModuleInstanceID=6157&ViewID=6446EE88-D30C-497E-9316-3F8874B3E108&RenderLoc=0&FlexDataID=71914&PageID=1

If you or someone you know is struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts, please call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, or contact The Trevor Project at 1-866-488-7386.

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Never the answer, despite the question”

1. Mrs. Peterson on January 29th, 2018 10:00 am

Thank you, Grace, for writing this article. We need to talk about these issues. I hope students realize that there are places to get help, and people at MCHS they can talk to.

[Reply]

2. Joe Ramirez on January 29th, 2018 1:38 pm

I really appreciate your willingness to discuss such a taboo subject. This is an issue that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

[Reply]

3. James, Evan on January 29th, 2018 1:40 pm

In the first sentence, I believe that the word bullies would be better to use instead of bullying.

[Reply]

4. Jessie Ortiz on January 29th, 2018 1:45 pm

This was a great article. I went to a leadership conference for the younger kids in SAUSD about a month ago and there was a “We Care” booth and they shot a scene of people chanting, “We care, get help.” I think this is a really important subject and hope this message can help change someone’s life.

[Reply]

5. Angel Hernandez on January 29th, 2018 1:46 pm

This was an amazing article. It was also an eye-opener. I never would have thought that there were so many suicide cases among teenagers.

[Reply]

6. Nayeli Playas on January 30th, 2018 10:05 am

I really enjoyed reading this article, because suicide is an issue that we shouldn’t ignore. Suicide is something that is affecting many people and we, as a group need to be there for them. Great article.

[Reply]

7. Roxie Rivera on January 30th, 2018 11:46 am

I think it is amazing that you wrote this article because it includes programs that can be helpful to many students. I didn’t think that there were many teen suicides. This was a great article.

[Reply]

8. Miguel Martinez on January 30th, 2018 11:49 am

Beautiful

[Reply]

9. Jacquelin Andrade on January 30th, 2018 11:51 am

This type of work is appreciated, knowing that it is being talked about and acknowledged can make everyone feel at least a little more comfortable than they were before. Especially if they can relate to the topic since it can hopefully help them realize that they are not alone and that they should seek help if they need it.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Never the answer, despite the question

News

What’s the deal with net neutrality?

News

Downtown Santa Ana under gentrification

News

The United States terminates TPS for El Salvador

• News

Winter Formal

News

First talent show wraps up with a standing ovation

• Features

Mr. Curtis: Exposed

• News

Where to find Neverland

News

What Day of the Dead is all about

News

Hurricane Maria leaves 3.4 million people in terrible conditions

News

Future of Dreamers without DACA

Never the answer, despite the question