Filed under News

A New Beginning

Freshmen Ezekiel Walker and Keely Jo have had a good experience at Middle College so far.

Tais Avila-Guzman

Tais Avila-Guzman

Coming to high school is a new experience for every student; the teachers are new, the environment is new and the workload is different. Most of the students at Middle College High School already know their teachers and are used to the workload, and it is all old for us, but for the freshmen, this is all new.

According to a survey of 66 freshmen out of a class of 93, the main reason the freshmen class came to Middle College was for the opportunity of graduating with an Associate of Arts degree and because their parents forced them to. Even though most of them did not choose to come here by choice, only three students said they didn’t like it. The main reason they like Middle College is because of the small school size and our block schedule. Taking college classes is the biggest change they have encountered here at Middle College, but although it is their biggest challenge, the majority of the freshmen are doing well in their classes. According to the survey, three out of four students of the class of 2022 are first generation students. This causes a lot of stress from family members. Their families expect a lot from them. They want them to have better grades and be better students than what they were in middle school.

Out of everyone who took the survey, only three said they did not like Middle College. The biggest complaints the freshmen had about Middle College was that because it wasn’t a gated campus, they felt it wasn’t safe enough. Another thing they wished Middle College had was more school events that mirrored other schools and to be more inclusive towards the freshmen.

A freshman girl who asked to be anonymous says, “I don’t like Middle College because there’s too much homework, there’s a lot of people passing by so it’s not really safe, and the construction is annoying.” On the other hand she likes the student store, “Its too expensive, but we can get things.” She did not want to come here; she wanted to go to Santa Ana High School because she wanted less responsibility. She says she has encountered problems with people in other grade levels who look down on her, so she plans on proving them wrong by succeeding here at Middle College.

Another girl who also chose to be anonymous has neutral feelings about MCHS, saying “sometimes it’s too much homework, but drama is fun. Drama is like a fun period; it’s not stressful, except when I have to perform.” She too didn’t want to come to Middle College. She wanted to go to Segerstrom because it is her dream school. “I wanted to come here to see what is was like and just leave,”she said

Freshman Ezekiel Walker, who previously went to MacArthur Intermediate School, believes that Middle College provides a higher sense of safety regarding our social environment as opposed to those of other high schools. Walker says, “I see students treat each other like they are the closest of friends. It’s nice to see a sense of unity.”

Joseluis Rangel, Staff Writer

Fun Facts:

I love writing stories.
Titan Master Race.
"The deep black is many things but never lonely."
-Xûr (Destiny Universe)

4 Comments

4 Responses to “A New Beginning”

1. Giovanna Nieto on October 12th, 2018 11:21 am

I really agree on this article so much. I really liked how they used the survey that we took. I can agree on how I was forced to come to MCHS, but what Ezekiel said about how all of us are friends really touched my heart. I am a freshmen and I am liking MCHS.

2. sofia chavez on October 14th, 2018 10:59 am

It’s pretty nice to see the opinions of my peers on here. I agree with Zeke’s statement about the sense of unity at MCHS. It’s a nice thing to see at our school.

3. Jessie Ortiz on October 15th, 2018 10:06 am

I’d like to add me two cents concerning the topic. It is true, we do have a ton of homework, but relatively speaking, the college courses seem easier than the AP courses that other students are taking in other high schools. The thing about making events, is that they take time, especially planning, but this year ASB, alongside other elective classes and clubs, will be making an effort to bring events for you guys. If anyone has any concerns or questions feel free to reach out to me in person or social media. Also, we have our ASB boxes posted in every room for you guys to leave anon questions, suggestions, or complaints. Good luck to all the freshmen.

4. Wendy Sanchez on October 15th, 2018 10:12 am

I personally don’t like Middle College because it is such a small school and we have very low school spirit. I try to get the best out of it by going to the dances and sports events but even like that we don’t have pep rallies like other school, for example Godinez or Segerstrom. I feel like my freshman year the school was good and I think it has to do with the people here and how much effort they put into hyping up the assemblies and other school events. Class of 2017 was more involved in the school which made the assemblies enjoyable as well as having the band. Last years class was not very involved which is when I started to notice how boring Middle College has gotten. Now I feel bad for the incoming freshmen because they don’t get the fun experience that they would have expected when going into high school.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A New Beginning

News

The E-Cigarette Epidemic

• A New Beginning

News

Apple 11’s Year Keynote

• A New Beginning

News

A new place to shop at MCHS

• A New Beginning

News

Does MCHS waste too much food?

• A New Beginning

News

Pep Rally Fall 2018

• A New Beginning

News

A Grand Visit

• A New Beginning

News

Despite recent attack, ESports promises to engage gamers at MCHS

• A New Beginning

News

Senior Wizard Spotlight: Justin Salgado

• A New Beginning

News

Stay safe on your college campus

• A New Beginning

News

People march the streets to advocate for Workers’ Day

A New Beginning