Filed under News, Showcase

A new place to shop at MCHS

Students+can+now+use+their+ID+cards+to+gain+points+and+use+them+to+get+items+at+the+new+student+store.+
Students can now use their ID cards to gain points and use them to get items at the new student store.

Kasandra Tapia

Kasandra Tapia

Need a sweater for the chilly weather? Stop by Middle College High School’s new student store. Mr. Voight has taken the initiative to establish a student store in the MCHS main office, and it will be ready by the end of October.

Other high schools have a student store on their campuses, and Mr. Voight wanted our school to have one too. It will include various items, from Wizard clothing to school event tickets. He will be adding things students want to buy by asking for their input. “It’s a work in progress,” said Mr. Voight about the student store.

The 5 Star Student point system has been recently introduced to MCHS students, and by demonstrating the student learner outcomes or going to counseling, students can earn points. Students will be able to use the points they have accumulated on their student ID cards at the student store to get items. A point chart will be on display to show students how many points they need to earn, and Mr. Voight hopes this will encourage students to earn more points. Students can check how many points they have accumulated by logging onto their 5Star Student accounts.

Senior Christy Orduno had bought her senior package from the Yearbook class, which had been the custom until now. “I became disappointed when it was cancelled,” Orduno said. However, she found out about the student store and would like to shop at it if she saves money. Ultimately, Mr. Voight’s goal is to help students save money by finding the “best deal possible.” Mr. Voight understands that senior year can be expensive for students as they buy their final memories.

Senior Brenna Villa agrees and said, “As a senior, I would like to get as many things to keep as memories which is why I would like to see a similar senior package at the new store.” Villa had purchased the senior package and expects a new package at the student store. “A package is a great idea to allow many students to get multiple items for a good price, which is what I am hoping will happen with the new package,” said Villa.

Kasandra Tapia, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Fun Facts:

I have an obsession with shoes.
I'm a vegan.
I have ruby ball cacti named Nora and Sandy.

11 Comments

11 Responses to “A new place to shop at MCHS”

1. Alan Marquez on October 12th, 2018 9:07 am

Although I am a freshman and can’t relate to these senior’s struggles when it comes to purchasing final memories but I think using this new point system to purchase items is going to be useful. I feel that it is going to be a helpful impact on our school. Good luck. 🙂

2. Chachi Martin on October 12th, 2018 10:17 am

As a sophomore, being at MCHS for a year now, I realized how amazing this school is. I like the idea of a student store, and how students would be able to show more school spirit. Having a student store would encourage more students to purchase spirit wear through out the school year instead of just at orientations. Thanks for the 411 ! 🙂

3. Angel Hernandez on October 12th, 2018 10:49 am

This is great news for students since many don’t have a lot of money to buy sweaters, yearbooks, tickets, and etc. With this store, it will encourage other students to actually try to earn the point instead of overlooking them. I believe this is very beneficial to those who go to tutoring this allows them a reward for going other than getting help.

4. Selina Saleh on October 12th, 2018 10:53 am

Although I liked the idea of student store that Voight has created, but it seems like a hassle. With many things going on for seniors, I believe that the seniors should just paying one fee of a package. If we are able to save money at the student store, then all for it, but I would also like a senior package because it makes life easier.

5. Clarisa Garibay on October 12th, 2018 10:58 am

As a senior I think the new student store would be a helpful way to save seniors money while also allowing them to buy memories such as school to remember their high school years. I hope that once the store is finished it will include the senior packet and other items that have been cancelled.

6. Nicholas on October 12th, 2018 11:04 am

This is cool and I want to buy stuff with my points. I gotta get y 5starstudent account

ClIcK hErE fOr FrEe MoNiEs [the SPAM button]

7. Shaina Diaz on October 12th, 2018 11:04 am

The idea of a student store good but I agree with Selina because taking away the senior package before telling us was pretty unfair for the seniors.

8. Abril Perez on October 12th, 2018 11:07 am

At the end of the day the memories we make will stay within us, if it really meant something to us, and I think that’s what matters.

9. Brianna Cazales on October 12th, 2018 11:07 am

Even though I am not a senior, I feel like the point system will encourage and inspire them to earn points. This new student store will help a lot of seniors.

10. Viviana Rivera on October 12th, 2018 11:07 am

I like that we have a way that we can show school spirit by earning it not just buying something,

11. Anahi Ruelas on October 12th, 2018 11:18 am

In my opinion I believe this is a very beneficial thing not only to attain memories from school but it also allows you to be more active in campus and join in more activities.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

A New Beginning

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

The E-Cigarette Epidemic

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

Apple 11’s Year Keynote

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

Does MCHS waste too much food?

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

Pep Rally Fall 2018

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

A Grand Visit

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

Despite recent attack, ESports promises to engage gamers at MCHS

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

Senior Wizard Spotlight: Justin Salgado

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

Stay safe on your college campus

• A new place to shop at MCHS

News

People march the streets to advocate for Workers’ Day

A new place to shop at MCHS