Filed under Features, Showcase

Is “period poverty” an issue at our school?

If you’re a girl, you know what it is like when your period comes without warning. Perhaps it randomly happens during the school day so you go to the bathroom and do your routine, only to realize you were not prepared, or worse, you don’t have the money to buy period products, and you’re too embarrassed to ask your friends. So, what are you to do now? Now, you have to leave school without knowing if there’s an alternative solution to the problem.

By the time girls reach high school, most have met “Aunt Flo,” which is a term some use for when girls have their menstrual cycle. According to the Office on Women’s Health, on average, a girl will get her first period at the age of 12, and most girls will continue to have it for 40 years. Equally important, according to the American Pregnancy Association, a woman’s period can last from three to seven days. That’s three to seven days every month for 40 years.

Alexandra Quiñones
Feminine hygiene sanitary products dispenser in the girl’s locker room.

While those are the common features of periods, many don’t know the hidden cost of having a period. This hidden concern lies within the cost and availability of hygiene products, such as pads and tampons, not to mention other expenses such as pain relief. Fortunately, a recent California state law was passed that requires Title 1 schools to stock feminine hygiene products. MCHS is eligible for Title 1 Funding and provides pads in the nurse’s office. School nurse Kathy Mras says, “I never deny a child,” when it comes to girls asking for pads. However, she also said, “I’ve not had anyone tell me they have this problem,” when it comes to period poverty.

Principal Damon Voight, said that in his 15 years of teaching he has “seen it twice, where girls didn’t have access to feminine hygiene products and stayed home.” He also mentioned that by making both girls and boys aware the office has supplies, boys can help girls, and girls will stay in school.

Lynette Maharaj, the CTE medical core teacher, said, “To ensure that students have the necessary resources, schools provide meals and textbooks.  Any intermediate, middle or high school that is not an all-boys school should also provide menstrual supplies as they are a basic necessity for every female who has experienced menarche. [Menarche means when a girl gets her first period.] Young females have enough to contend with when they reach this stage of their lives-it is a perplexing time for most with their hormones and bodies changing rapidly-without the additional worry of figuring out how to suddenly have to pay for monthly menstrual supplies.”

Alexandra Quiñones
Nurse Kathy Mras  hands a student a pad.

Additionally, Maharaj said, “Having grown up in South Africa among many disadvantaged and poverty-stricken families, I experienced, more often than I care to recall, female students, missing school for lack of menstrual supplies. Perhaps you’ve heard the term “being on the rag.” Well, it is a very real situation where females without the proper menstrual supplies resort to using rags and discarded clothing to create makeshift menstrual supplies that can be washed and reused.  It is demeaning at a time when females really need to boost their self-confidence and blossom.”

This is not the first time people have brought this issue to light. Pulitzer Prize winners Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn mentioned in their book, “Half the Sky” that “African girls typically use (and reuse) old rags during their periods, and they often have only a single torn pair of underwear. For fear of embarrassing leaks and stains, girls sometimes stay home during that time.”

A survey taken by 74 participants at MCHS, from sophomores to teachers, revealed the majority of people genuinely did not know if period poverty was an issue at MCHS ,and from the 48 female responses received, approximately 10 percent said they did not have enough resources to get menstrual products. While those results are low, any percent of females who feel this way is too much.

Voight said, “I think it’s part of our responsibility [to provide menstrual products]” and he even added that if they were to run out, “I would go get them.” With the resources the school provides, period poverty should not be an issue and in the words of Maharaj, “No female should ever have to go through the shame and embarrassment of not having their basic needs met.”

Alexandra Quiñones
The drawer containing pads in Nurse Kathy Mras’s office.

Alexandra Quiñones, Staff Writer

Fun Facts:

I have a white pet bunny with red eyes.
One of my favorite memories would be titled "The water-bottle incident."
My friends describe...

7 Comments

7 Responses to “Is “period poverty” an issue at our school?”

1. Elizabeth Alvarado on October 12th, 2018 10:45 am

Great insight!! Not to mention the extremely HIGH prices that are pads and tampons. I sometimes had to choose between less quality pads for a cheaper price and other important things I needed to buy

2. Cristina Pate on October 12th, 2018 10:57 am

I really enjoy the idea of this article. Period poverty should be talked about more often because a vast majority of people do not even know what the term means or never have heard the term. I love this article!

3. Mrs. Peterson on October 12th, 2018 10:58 am

Thank you for writing this very important article. Women make up half of the population, and this is a basic need every woman has one time a month. It is something we should talk about rather than be embarrassed by. Girls, please know that if you need supplies, the school has them to give to you! Come and talk to me if you are too shy to go directly to the office.

4. Selina Saleh on October 12th, 2018 11:02 am

As a woman, I believe that schools should provide pads and tampons for those on their period, but pads and tampons should be free in general because women were born this way. We are unable to stop this natural cycle, so we should be able to access necessities without the trouble of buying them from a store. Great article!

5. Mariana Mora on October 12th, 2018 11:12 am

From the girls that I know, not many like to talk about this certain topic with teachers and I myself did not know we even had a school nurse working here. If this article was not made I don’t think many of the girls here at MCHS would be aware of the resources available for us during our menstruation cycle.

6. Esmeralda Martinez on October 12th, 2018 11:15 am

In my opinion, I think it’s necessary for schools to have feminine products because pads and tampons have high prices. If you don’t have enough money you will have to get the cheaper ones which are poor quality.

7. Anahi Ruelas on November 15th, 2018 11:42 am

Well I personally believe this topic to be quite important. Some girls don’t have the access to pads or tampons. And this is because of how pricey tampons and pads can get . I know that sometimes you may have to chose a pack with worse quality because of the lower price. So, i’m glad to see this article addressing the issue !

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is “period poverty” an issue at our school?

Features

The Daily Lives of Street Vendors

Features

Is ASB working for you?

Features

Evolution of Rap Lyrics

Features

Students have concerns about riding the bus to and from school

Features

Is Atheism a trend?

Features

Teachers with guns? Here’s what MCHS thinks

Features

What is stressing out MCHS?

Features

Goodbye Middle College

Features

Mrs. Peterson: Exposed

Features

Preparing the Incoming Seniors: A Survival Guide