Filed under Features, Showcase

Is ASB working for you?

ASB vice president, Ana Gonzalez, and her colleagues during the ASB conference.

Jessie Ortiz

Jessie Ortiz

“ASB is corrupt.” Scroll through Instagram and you will spot the occasional selfie, advertisement, video, and meme. Möth memes, skeleton memes, baby shark memes, and in more recent news, ASB memes. These ASB memes are very popular here at MCHS and highlight many of ASB’s so-called “wrong doings.” However, this is not the only form of criticism ASB has been receiving. There have been students who openly discuss, criticize, and find faults within ASB and they have not been afraid to share their opinion concerning the Associated Student Body.

ASB’s main purpose is to serve and represent the students at school. They are in charge of planning dances and activities, promoting events such as football and soccer games, organizing and executing the assemblies held at school, and overall helping build the school spirit among the students.

Jessie Ortiz
Jordan Avila and other journalists question the ASB cabinet and other members.

To address and bring light to this issue, The Spellbinder hosted a press conference on Wednesday, October 8 and invited ASB representatives to discuss what was being said about them.  Members were given the chance to describe the duties that they carry out as a whole and also discussed the criticisms being made. Josselyn Orozco, ASB secretary, said “ASB’s goal is to make the school year as memorable and as fun as we can make it for the student body.”

ASB primarily builds school spirit and enthusiasm, and one of the ways they do it is by planning lunchtime games called “nooners.” These nooners are played by all grade levels and there is a point system for these lunchtime games. The winning class receives 100 points, second place receives 75 points, third place receives 50 points, and last place receives 25 points for participation. At the end of the school year, all these points are accumulated and a certain grade reigns victorious. However, many students have been vocal in claiming that these games have been rigged because seniors “always win.”

Senior Rosa Navarro described what she has seen circulating around school the most. One of the criticisms she addressed was on the school games organized by ASB. Navarro said that she’s heard students criticize ASB for rigging games. Although it may seem like that, ASB set the record straight during the press conference. Student Body President Ana-Teresa Mendoza said, “I feel like for example during the games, things will not go perfectly as planned. For example, like a rule might be ignored in the moment, but ASB doesn’t purposely do that because you have so many students watching during the assembly, and you have to check who’s winning, who’s losing. You’re basically multi-tasking and it’s hard to keep track of every single thing at once.” Perhaps in the long run, the events planned by ASB may have good intentions after all, but in the heat of the moment, things don’t always go as planned. “When we plan these games, we don’t go ‘Who’s gonna win this time?’ or ‘Let’s make the seniors win,'” Mendoza said.

ASB members are perceived as the leaders of the school, so should they be held accountable and viewed as role models towards the student body? Junior Bryan Granados said, “Yeah because in ASB, they do a lot of events and the way I see it is that they should be role models because they already have their own school work and other stuff. Plus, they have to do ASB things and like time management would be really good to show the students how to do because they procrastinate too much.” Granados believes that because ASB members have a lot of responsibilities and know how to manage their time, they should be seen as role models towards the rest of the student body because they can set an example on how things should be done in order to be successful. Junior Daniela Flores said, “Well yeah because ASB is kinda like in charge of all the student events and stuff and because of the title, I think people do look up to ASB.”

Jessie Ortiz
ASB President, Ana Mendoza addresses student’s concerns during the ASB press conference.

Both students interviewed believe that ASB should in fact be seen as the role models of the school because of the hard work they put into their duties as well as knowing how to manage their time. ASB President Ana-Teresa Mendoza also believes that ASB should be the role models of the school. She said, “I feel like people in ASB have either a really nice personality or are in a lot of extracurricular activities. And because GPA does matter in ASB, almost everyone has a good GPA.”  Mendoza feels as though ASB members are a good example to the student body because they have good GPAs and are involved in extracurriculars both inside and outside of school. Non-ASB members Granados and Flores also agreed that ASB should be looked at as role models because of how much they contribute to the school and the way they do it.

Also, at times it may seem as though ASB abuses its “power” to get away with things that any other students wouldn’t. These observations were noted by ASB as Mendoza said, “Well I mean, for example, if someone was missing class then I’m sure Voight would handle it. For that specifically, ASB doesn’t get a free pass for being late to class. We can’t skip, that’s for every student here. And again, I’m pretty sure if an ASB student is late to class, I’m pretty sure they’re not thinking, ‘I can get away with it because I’m in ASB.’ No one has that mindset.” Student Liaison Santiago Estrada added, “If they’re referring to the times when we’re allowed to leave early to do something, I mean, it’s to do something for you [the Student Body] and we always let the teachers know.” It would seem as though any issues regarding ASB’s performance aren’t necessarily excused or brushed off simply because of one’s position. Orozco said, “When we leave class or we’re late, it’s not because we want to, it’s because we have to do things like cleaning up or setting up. But also, the time that we miss is made up. We still have to do the same assignments as everyone else in class. We don’t get away with anything.”

When ASB was asked about their strengths and weaknesses, Mendoza said, “I think that the strengths we have as an ASB is that we are close. There’s a difference between criticism and rude comments. Whenever we get rude comments, since we’re so close, we know that we all did the best that we could and we all lift each other in a way.” As far as ASB’s weaknesses, senior Paola Fierro said, “I think a weakness we have as an ASB is that we do hear everything everybody says, but since it’s such a small comment, they don’t really elaborate on what exactly it is that they want us to do. So then we might interpret it in a different way than they wanted us to understand.”

The criticisms made towards ASB has seemed to only distance the communication between the student body and ASB. However, there’s a few things that ASB wants the student body to know. ASB Vice President Ana Gonzalez said that, “We do try to get the opinions of other people and the whole student body, and not just ASB.” Gonzalez feels as though the students don’t even bother to communicate with ASB, but she wants to let them know that ASB tries their best to get the opinions of the students into the decisions of ASB. Spirit & Prep Commissioner Karen Alegria said that, “Students have to be willing to hear what we have to say because we can say whatever we want, but they have to be willing to hear what we say and understand our point of view.” Alegria thinks that one of the problems between ASB and the student body is that student body doesn’t effectively listen to what ASB has to say because if they would, then they would see why certain things go the way they do.

One issue President Mendoza wanted to address was to clarify how students get into ASB, because she’s heard how many students believe that it’s all about popularity. She said, “How we take people in is also based on teacher recommendations, how spirited you are because you are an ASB member, so you should be school spirited, and your grades. There are so many factors, it’s not just if people like you. It’s never like that because I feel like if you also look at ASB members as individuals, everyone comes from different groups.” Mendoza believes there’s no such thing as popularity at MCHS because “It’s such a small school that everyone knows everyone.”  

At the end of the day, people will end up forming their own opinions on the subject because it’s something they come across every day, so it’s inevitable to not form an opinion. But hopefully now, the students are able to distinguish and form a more educated belief on ASB and the student body based on the criticisms discussed.

Jordan Avila, Feature Editor

Fun Facts:

I have four eyes.
My hair is 6 inches long.
I haven't grown since 7th grade.

Edgar Hernandez, Staff Writer

Fun Facts:

I've watched "Grey's Anatomy" three times... and counting.
I McLove McChickens.
Medicine is cool.

Joanna Mejia, Staff Writer

Fun Facts:

I love to eat açaí bowls and chickens. All kinds of chickens: grilled teriyaki chicken, fried chicken, grilled chicken sandwiches, chicken...

Jessie Ortiz, Multimedia Editor

Fun Facts:

Aspiring cinematographer.
1 -minute videos take about 1-2 hours to edit.
I met Evan on the first day of 6th grade.

20 Comments

20 Responses to “Is ASB working for you?”

1. Erick Villalobos on October 12th, 2018 10:09 am

I heard that during the conference that ASB members attended, they weren’t allowed to speak about the two seniors that were reinstated even though they were caught with possession of alcohol. I don’t see why they were reinstated even when they clearly broke the law.

2. adviser on October 12th, 2018 10:20 am

This issue had been dealt with and discipline issued by the school. It is also not appropriate to disclose matters that invade students’ privacy. As to whether it was appropriate that they be reinstated, this decision was a school and administrative decision; it is perfectly appropriate for the school staff and principal to make that decision.

3. And-Teresa Mendoza on October 12th, 2018 10:31 am

I know that many students still may have concerns and questions etc. If you want them address I would be more than glad to sit down , talk and listen to you.

4. And-Teresa Mendoza on October 12th, 2018 10:32 am

I know that many students still may have concerns and questions etc. If you want them address I would be more than glad to sit down , talk and listen to you

5. Rosa Navarro on October 12th, 2018 10:42 am

My opinion has not been stated in this article and I feel that my voice wasn’t heard. To be completely honest I feel like my voice has been completly censored. When I first heard about that this article was being made, I was excited because I felt that I can now give my opinion freely. I don’t want to be mean but I feel this article had me disappointed and ASB’s voice was heard better than the student body.

6. Rosa Navarro on October 12th, 2018 10:45 am

My opinion has not been stated in this article and I feel that my voice wasn’t heard. To be completely honest I feel like my voice has been completly censored. When I first heard that this article was being made, I was excited because I felt that I can now give my opinion freely. I don’t want to be mean but I feel this article had me disappointed and ASB’s voice was heard better than the student body.

7. adviser on October 12th, 2018 10:49 am

What other statements would you like to make? The reporters working on this article do not have to use every quote. If you feel that you were taken out of context, please give us feedback here.

8. Nicolas Rodriguez on October 12th, 2018 10:55 am

In my opinion, ASB seems like they’re doing an alright job, a better start than last year’s I’ll admit. The events they’re doing are pretty good like the pep rally yesterday was good. However, I would say if you can calm down on the trash talking because I felt like the pinata was a bit too much. One thing I will agree with is what Ana Teresa Mendoza said about popularity at MCHS. It’s a small school, popularity doesn’t exist here.

9. Josselyn Orozco on October 12th, 2018 10:58 am

I do believe that even after this article many people will still continue to talk about ASB but I do believe it would be better for the student body to address those questions to any ASB member.

10. Gaby Carrillo on October 12th, 2018 10:59 am

It can be seen that effort was put into this article, and I can appreciate that. Despite that fact, I have to say that I found it to be quite disappointing; when I heard there was finally going to be an article discussing the issues with ASB, I expected more. To be frank, the title should not be “Is ASB working for you?” but instead “ASB lectures students on why they are important.” I do not mean to offend ASB itself, I just believe that it would have been best if students OUTSIDE OF ASB had written the article about its issues to represent a non-biased point of view. Yes, ASB members could have given their own representation, but I just feel that this whole article was just about ASB members justifying their actions rather than addressing the issues that people have with it. There is a reason that so many students are not satisfied with our associated student body, and I honestly believe that this article could have done a better job getting to the bottom of it.

11. Jonathan Vargas on October 12th, 2018 11:01 am

I just want to say that GPA and extracurricular activities are not everything someone needs to be able to be a good role model. One must also display traits like academic integrity, responsibility, and perseverance to show people that they are worthy of being a role model. A GPA can’t show this and although extracurricular activities may, you must be able to display those traits to the students.

12. Anahi Ruelas on October 12th, 2018 11:02 am

Well since i’m still kind of new to this school I really wouldn’t be able to say I have any problems with ASB. But I do like that the ASB in this school accepts students based on teacher recommendations. I also like that ASB doesn’t have special privilege’s such as skipping class and other stuff.

13. Christina Diaz on October 12th, 2018 11:04 am

Okay but.. why are all the writers in ASB or past ASB members? This article seems to be very biased, because everyone interviewed including the writers are all talking from the same, ASB supporting point of view. I don’t necessarily think that ASB is corrupt, and this article is very well-written but it probably should’ve been more balanced with different points of view

14. Rosa Navarro on October 12th, 2018 11:04 am

To be clear, when I was interviewed, I talked about a number of issues that ASB and its members had shown but, in this article, I feel that none of the points that I had brought up had been mentioned. This article had been seen more like a “Let’s defend ASB.” While I do realize that this article’s intent isn’t to excuse the actions of ASB but, we need to also point out the other side that students are trying to make. One example is that ASB members being late to class even though they have no reason to be late (there is no event happening in school) or how I have seen first hand the cattiness of certain members. A number of students and myself included feel that there is a certain ego and air of entitlement some members have.

15. Selina Saleh on October 12th, 2018 11:13 am

I believe that the rumors of ASB shouldn’t exist because if people wanted to know the truth, they can talk to any of the members. Although the memes are all fun and jokes, people take it way too seriously by saying rude comments. And when people say rude comments, more people will join the bandwagon. If students wanted to know the real truth of ASB itself, talk to Ana Teresa Mendoza and Ana Gonzalez because rumors shouldn’t exist at all when they are both accessible for the student body.

16. Vanessa Rodriguez on October 12th, 2018 11:38 am

The journalists who wrote this article made a bold move, a necessary one, and I would like to tell them that it is greatly appreciated. The journalist recognized a controversial topic within the student body and attemptied to help put both parties at ease. With that in mind, it is not fair to the journalist that readers are commenting concerns directly to this article rather than ASB. I agree with many of my classmates, but commenting them on this article isn’t appropriate or nice.

17. AnaTeresa Mendoza on October 12th, 2018 12:13 pm

Students have so much to say online but doesn’t say it in person. If you have something to say find me and say it and we can have a proper conversation.

18. Samuel Quinones on October 13th, 2018 10:55 am

I know of many people that believe that addressing certain topics gives them a sense of validity, especially if accusation are being made. However from the common students point of view to not address the topics will likely cause their concerns to feel shunned to the side. Like the current ASB president so bluntly suggested, addressing the claims to the root of the cause could best settle any disputes or issues. Instead of using biased questions, address them in a manner allowing everyone to defend themselves; it will become apparent who is looking for justitification and whom is genuinely looking to serve their student body on behalf of ASB and allow the much desired transparency and accountability the school body assembly desires.

19. Samuel Quinones on October 13th, 2018 11:18 am

I know of many people who believe responding to accusations give them a sense of validity. However, under the given circumstance with the student body assembly, what it seems they most desire is a sense of transparency and accountability. To not address these issues, evident by the previous comments, leave a sense that the student body assembly’s concerns are being shunned to the side. I would agree with the current ASB president that any issue should be addressed in person; in doing so, it will become clear if the accused are seeking justification or have the genuine interest of the student body at hand. As for the common students, they will truly show whether or not their claims are made to play devil’s advocate or if they are legitimate concerns.

-M.S. Skujj
    Alumni Samuel Quiñones

20. Santiago Estrada on October 15th, 2018 11:47 am

To Rosa:
    It’s justified that the spellbinder wasn’t able to quote you word by word. Any issues you may have with asb should be handled with us directly, we’d be more than happy to sit down and talk about any issues that you are worried about. Now to address a few things; this isn’t a article to defend asb, it’s simply us responding to you’re comments and showing you why we do somethings and not. That’s defending ourselfs. Now if you’re worried about us being to class while there’s no events keep into consideration that there’s a lot of things on the side that you may not know of, like creating thirty-something posters. It’s those little things that we’d like the student body to see.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

The Daily Lives of Street Vendors

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

Evolution of Rap Lyrics

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

Is “period poverty” an issue at our school?

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

Students have concerns about riding the bus to and from school

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

Is Atheism a trend?

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

Teachers with guns? Here’s what MCHS thinks

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

What is stressing out MCHS?

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

Goodbye Middle College

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

Mrs. Peterson: Exposed

• Is ASB working for you?

Features

Preparing the Incoming Seniors: A Survival Guide

Is ASB working for you?