Filed under News

Lack of participation at MCHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lack of participation at MCHS

Even though it looks like sophomore Christina Diaz is having a good time, dance participation is at an all-time low.

Jessie Ortiz

Jessie Ortiz

Jessie Ortiz

Recently, the morning announcements have been plagued with activities being shut down or changed because of the lack of participation. Just this semester, according to senior Ana-Teresa Mendoza, the ASB president, the “Mr. Middle College” event has been cancelled due to not having enough participants. She also mentioned that over the course of her four years at Middle College High School she has witnessed a decrease in participation. So, why the decrease?

Mendoza said that she tried to spark more participation in students with more events and nooners, but as sophomore Max Rodriguez commented, not many students want to volunteer to participate in nooners, and he felt the participation got worse in certain grade levels. Rodriguez said, “During the activities in the quad I rarely see anyone go up. I feel as though the higher the grade level, the less they participate.”

Senior Alan Meza said that he went to one dance last year when he was dragged there by friends. The reason he believes people don’t go to dances is that they’re mostly the same each year. Meza said, “It’s routine. Sadies is always at David & Busters; they use the same venue.”

Senior Bryan Rodriguez said that he believes that the reason people are not participating in school-run events and activities is that the news doesn’t get around. He said, “I feel like they’re not as energetic… one or two people go around asking people … not involved just announcing.” Rodriguez mentioned that the amount of participation was “definitely different” in the past. When asked if he felt that there was a difference in people attending the dance before this year, he said, “I definitely feel like more people went to dances before.”

According to ASB advisor Mr. Ramos, there has been a definite decrease in ticket sales from last year to this year. During the 2017-2018 school year, 110 people attended the Halloween Dance, 95 attended Winter Formal, 90 attend Sadie Hawkins, and 75 attended Prom. During the 2018-2019 school year, 105 students bought tickets to the Halloween Dance and 61 attended Winter Formal.

Alan Meza and Bryan Rodriguez both mentioned that they believed that participation was going to keep going down because of the groups people have divided themselves into. Meza said, “ I think participation is gonna decrease more because a lot of people are in groups and they are not going to things.”

About the Contributors
Rebecca Guerrero, Staff Writer

Fun Facts:

I sometimes break out into song and dance.
I'm often off in my own world.
I like to learn how to say hello in different languages.

Jessie Ortiz, Multimedia Editor

Fun Facts:

Aspiring graphic designer.
1 -minute videos take about 1-2 hours to edit.
I met Evan on the first day of 6th grade.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Lack of participation at MCHS”

1. Albert Huynh on March 1st, 2019 9:55 am

I feel like activities are continuously being canceled due to the lack of participation because students are being overwhelmed with work. Maybe if teachers gave fewer homework assignments students will have the chance to socially interact with homework instead of spending most of their time completing their work.

2. Miranda Ceja Amezcua on March 1st, 2019 10:12 am

I personally didn’t want to attend any of the dances because I could use that same 30 dollars to go out with my friends or something.

3. Christina G Magana on March 1st, 2019 10:26 am

I also think participation is gonna decrease. I think just think that people aren’t interested, it’s the same thing every time.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

Scavenger Hunt 2019

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

Political instability in Venezuela affects its economy and people

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

Warren’s announcement of a future presidential campaign kicks the 2020 race into overdrive

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

Speech and Debate’s experience in a travel tournament

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

First ever dance festival at Santa Ana High School

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

SpongeBob creator, Stephen Hillenburg, dies at age 57

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

21 Questions with Mr. Kaneko

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

College Application Day

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

Advanced Drama prepares for their biggest Production yet

• Lack of participation at MCHS

News

A new beginning

Lack of participation at MCHS