Filed under Features, Showcase

Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Back to Article
Back to Article

Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Introducing the new ASB president, Jessie Ortiz, and vice president, Karen Alegria.

Rebecca Guerrero

Rebecca Guerrero

Rebecca Guerrero

As the 2018-2019 school year comes to an end, we must say goodbye to the current ASB presidents and say hello to the ASB cabinet of 2019-2020. As of April 19, the 2019 MCHS ASB President is Jessie Ortiz and our Vice President is Karen Algeria, so let us get a glimpse of the future and get to know the ASB of tomorrow!

Ortiz said that he has wanted to run for President since he was a freshman and that when you want to do something you “gotta do it.” He said that he has a “really wacky idea” to inspire participation. Ortiz is working with Mr. Voight and Karen to install a house system much like the one from Hogwarts. These houses would mix the grades together and allow the grades to become less isolated from one another. He also mentions that he elaborates on his plan for individual spirit days rather than weeks in his blog. Ortiz mentioned that his main plans for next year is to have more student input in order to improve ASB events and install a new way to pay for dances. “We’re all wizards and we got to make the best of it.”

“I think what made me want to run was I wanted to see change” said Vice President Algeria. She said that she wanted to run for Vice President because she wanted to share her ideas, and because of encouragement of her. Algeria mentioned that a lot of plans weren’t executed all that well this year and that she had ideas on how to accomplish things better and encourage involvement in students. One of her plans to encourage more participation in students next year is to look towards ASB and getting them to advertise more. She said that she would encourage the ASB members to talk to people outside of the grade level more, so that more people are involved with ASB. Some of the other goals she has is to create a better atmosphere, introduce new events, and encourage more inclusiveness at our school.

Jessie Ortiz and Karen Alegria are the new ASB President and Vice President for next year. Both candidates are excited for what the future holds, and already have plans to ensure that next year will be full of polls, nooners, spirit, and lots of change.

About the Contributor
Rebecca Guerrero, Staff Writer

Fun Facts:

I sometimes break out into song and dance.
I'm often off in my own world.
I like to learn how to say hello in different languages.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Introducing the ASB of tomorrow”

1. Steven Garrido on April 26th, 2019 12:11 pm

I hope next year, new activities will happen. With the help of your new presidents of ASB. I don’t know Jessie that well. But when we have talked he sounded like an enthusiastic man with great ideas that upon us. for next year.

2. Michelle Kerk on April 26th, 2019 12:13 pm

Congratulations Jessie and Karen! I’m so happy for you two and I can’t wait to see what changes you have to offer. : )

3. Guadalupe Villegas Campos on April 26th, 2019 12:14 pm

Congratulation! I like the ideas that they both have to get more students involved. Letting the students have a say on what is happening.

4. Sandy Villalobos on April 26th, 2019 12:15 pm

Congratulations to Jessie and Karen! Although they won, I am sure that the other candidates, and ASB members, won’t stop to try to make the next school year as fun as it could be.

5. Joe Mendoza on April 26th, 2019 12:16 pm

I like how they are already making and introducing things that they had promised to do from their campaign. I can’t wait to see what our new ASB President and Vice President will do in the year 2019-2020.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

Good Goodbye

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

Period discrimination and stigma all over the world

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

Cults or coincidence; Mutilation of animals in local suburbs sparks local fear  

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

Do you know how healthy your brain is?

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

Is Math Analysis as bad as people make it seem?

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

The new “Wellness Center” can give MCHS students the help they need

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

What would keep you from going to the college of your dreams?

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

Psychopaths on TV: Why do we love them?

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

What gives me the right?

• Introducing the ASB of tomorrow

Features

The 2019 Middle College Financial Crisis

Introducing the ASB of tomorrow