Is Math Analysis as bad as people make it seem?

Mr.+Camacho+explaining+a+Math+Analysis+problem+

Edgar Hernandez

Mr. Camacho explaining a Math Analysis problem

At Middle College High School, there are a few classes that truly pose a different challenge to each student. These classes include physics, chemistry, U.S. History, Algebra II, and of course, Math Analysis. Whether the challenge may strike because of the workload, or simply the difficulty understanding the material, each class requires a strong work ethic and determination. However, Math Analysis takes the title for the most difficult class at Middle College, as it’s been called that by the many students who’ve taken it. But is it called that by students who do poorly in it, or by the ones who perform better?

Math Analysis is an upper level math course that is open to students who have already taken and passed Algebra II. Every year, sophomores, juniors, and seniors take the class. The class holds different grade levels because incoming freshmen are placed into either Algebra I, Geometry, or Algebra II when they start high school, so some will complete Algebra II faster than others. Mrs. Espinosa recommends students to take Math Analysis only if they are or plan on pursuing S.T.E.M related fields, but anyone who completes Algebra II are still welcomed to take it.

Because some students take the class at a different grade level, that ends up affecting their opinion and view on the difficulty of the class, since sophomores have an easier year than both juniors and seniors. Sophomore Itzel Quiroz said, “Math Analysis is challenging, but ultimately fun because although it’s hard, all you need is time and the effort into understanding the class.” Quiroz believes that Math Analysis is a challenge, but what helps her stay successful in the class is being able to dedicate both the time and effort into studying so that she can perform good on the tests, since they are worth half of your grade. Junior Sofia Regalado said, “Math Analysis is one of my favorite classes at MCHS because it’s very interesting if you’re into math, and it’s also taught very well.” Regalado believes that the class isn’t hard if you “have a good studying habit.” She also added, “It’s not difficult really, you just have to pace yourself, find out how to learn the material, pay attention, but overall it really just depends on the person’s background.”

Students up to this day fear taking the class because it can “ruin your GPA,” and students are afraid of that. Quiroz said, “They find it scary because a lot of people make it seem bad, and some students who are taking it won’t end up passing the class.” Senior Ana-Teresa Mendoza said, “Stories that people say definitely affect how the students see the class. People say how this class is extremely hard, but that’s not really the case, it just comes down to whether people really study or not study.” Regalado added, “Students may have not had Mr. Camacho, so that can be scary to them because they also hear stories about others failing, evoking fear among them. But when in reality, the people who are failing or drop don’t really do anything to succeed in the class; you need to understand the material, not memorize it.” Regalado believes that those who truly want to succeed in the class, will because they will put the effort and time into it, while those who don’t will eventually weed themselves out.

Although some students find themselves succeeding in the class as the semester goes on, for some it’s a little more difficult to adjust to the level of proficiency and time it requires. Senior Brian Silva said, “Math Analysis was not what I expected. I’ve always been average at math, so I knew it was going to be hard but I thought I was going to get the hang of it. You think you understand it, but once you’re given a question, you’re perplexed.” Silva was in Math Analysis only first semester, and decided to drop second semester because he didn’t pass. He said, “I think this class has a negative stigmatization to it because even the smartest kids say how hard it is, and I think that puts fear into other students, taking  away that hope they might have to pass.” Over the past couple years, Math Analysis has gained a reputation for being a “GPA breaker” class, but that’s not the case because it also takes discipline, time management, and studying skills to really succeed in the class. Silva said, “Although I didn’t pass, I’m happy I took it because I learned a lot from it. I’m now able to incorporate the skills and concepts I learned into my current College Algebra class. So now if I want to retake the class, I know what to expect and what to do to better myself.”

This year, the class started with about twenty-five students and now, the class has eleven students. Out of those students, senior Ana-Teresa Mendoza is one of them. She said, “I’m very happy I decided to take the class, and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made at MCHS because I had always thought I was bad at math, but I’m not. This class helped me realized that.” Math Analysis challenges students and pushes them to do their best, and through this, Mendoza discovered that she’s actually good at math. She said, “The class is hard if you don’t study or pay attention. In some classes, you can not study or pay attention and still pass the test, but that’s absolutely not the case for this class.” Despite the rigor of the class, Mendoza said, “It’s one of my favorite classes because it challenges me, and I love how Mr. Camacho teaches.”

For future MCHS students planning on taking Math Analysis, the students who took it this year have some wise words. Quiroz said, “If you’re debating on whether or not to take the class, take it because the challenge is worth it.”  Regalado said, “Don’t be afraid to take the class, have some caution and have a good background in math. Don’t slack off because it will come bite you in the butt, just go for it.” Mendoza said, “Don’t be afraid to take the class, study in the way that works best for you and you’ll be successful.” Silva said, “If you performed good in your previous math classes, then go for it. If you’re not really a math person and still decide to take it, don’t be afraid of taking on a challenge. Just invest your time into the class and always, always ask questions.” From the feedback these Math Analysis students have said, it can be concluded that if you’re planning on taking it next year, don’t let the negative perceptions stop you. It is a difficult class if you don’t put in the effort, time, and willingness to study and learn into it. Come into class knowing it will probably be the class that challenges you the most, so get ready to study and understand the material.