MCHS Assemblies: Good, Bad, or Just Plain Ugly

Andres Reyes

Philips Hall @Santa Ana College.

In Middle College High School, back-to-school assemblies have students feeling mixed emotions towards them. Some students might look forward to the assembly because they genuinely enjoy it while others simply like it because of the modified short schedule. Despite the reason, the target for most school assemblies is to have students motivated for the academic school year. However, some people will assume that other high schools have better assemblies because they are bigger schools with better performances and entertainment. This leaves students wanting to find out and compare our school assemblies to other schools. 

“We have sports rallies for every season. We also have a back to school assembly. And there are also school expectations assembly,” said Valley High School senior Jimmy Vu. Valley High School assemblies are about an hour long and are separated into classes due to the vast amount of students present in the school. In comparison to MCHS, where the assemblies are also around an hour long, however, the assembly is not separated by classes due to the school’s small size. 

Santa Ana High School senior Anthony Piedras reports how on “The assemblies are about an hour long and are very hot.” He also reports how, “Dance team, cheer, and song pom perform.” Like Valley, Santa Ana High School are separated into period due to the school’s large class size. He adds on by explaining how the assemblies have many things going on and they can’t have anything for too long because it gets very hot. When asked if his assemblies could improve Piedras responded with “absolutely.”

When questioned about traditions both schools have different traditions. In Santa Ana High School, “They boo the freshmen and NJROTC dabs and so does everyone while they do it.” In Valley High School, a typical assembly starts with the booing of freshmen and ends with the singing of the Alma Mater.

“They’re always fun” answered Vu when questioned whether he enjoys his school’s assemblies or not. On a scale of 1-10 he rated his assemblies at an 8. Compared to Piedras, who on a 1-10 scale he answered, “1-10 compared to MCHS I’d say 3.”  Overall, MCHS assemblies are not very different compared to different big high schools such as Valley. 

Overall, the only notable difference between highschool assemblies in the district are the class size, ASB organization, and school spirit. There are several factors that affect the quality of an assembly, however, at the end of the day, all the assemblies are similar and it all really depends on the audience’s point of view. To further improve future assemblies, write down recommendations in the comment section below.