School clubs: The universal language of stress-relief

As the Middle College High School student enters a club meeting with his heavy backpack, headache, and lunch in hand, he leaves his stress behind to collaborate with his fellow club members. They gather not to study or cram for a test, but to bond over a shared, common interest.

Depending on what the student prefers, they can join the Dance Club, Soccer Club, Art Enrichment, Drama Club, and the Musicians Unite Club.

Although they all have to do with something completely different, what they all have in common is that they allow the student to express his emotions or just blow off some steam. 

Jessika Rivero, sophomore and member of the Dance Club, dances to break free from her stress and worries.

“I use the arts to escape from stress by being able to distract myself and just be able to do something I really like without having to worry about anything but focus on the dance moves,” said Rivero.

Since Middle College is a very academic-heavy school, big loads of homework and the stress of not being good enough for this school is something that is very common among students. But like Rivero, students can join a club to express what is on their mind or to just relax and forget about all the homework that they have.

Joset Gonzales, sophomore and member of Musicians Unite, takes breaks between homework doing what he loves most.

“I play my guitar when I feel stressed and when there is a lot of homework. Sometimes I play in between my homework in sort of breaks when I am feeling overwhelmed,” said Gonzales.

Taking a break from doing a lot of schoolwork helps a student look forward to finishing their work. It serves as a motivator as the student can play their instrument, for example, after finishing all his or her work.

Joining a club to be able to express yourself is not the only benefit. Joining clubs also looks good on a student’s college application so it works out for both the student’s current health and future opportunities. Clubs also give you the opportunity to meet new friends, create better bonds with teachers, and maybe find new connections that will help you in the future.

Jesse Camacho, sophomore and member of Art Enrichment, draws out what is on his mind.

“Going to Art Enrichment allowed me to meet new people that also used art to express themselves and I also became closer to Ms. Thomas who is the teacher that administers the club,” said Camacho.

Teachers that advise clubs usually share an interest with the topic of the club so getting along with the teacher and other students won’t be as hard as you think. You never know if those students know or are related to important people but if they aren’t, it doesn’t hurt you to have a new friend.

So next time that its Club Rush at Middle College, join what you think is fun for you and not what you think would sound good on your resume.