Senior exit interviews are not as scary as you think

Questions to help seniors prepare for their interviews.

Seniors have all sorts of responsibilities they need to focus on. One of those responsibilities is gathering all their accomplishments throughout the four years they have attended MCHS. The Senior Exit Portfolio is one of the most grueling but nostalgic pieces assigned. 

The portfolios consist of work completed from our freshman to senior year. Though the portfolio reminds seniors of their accomplishments, it can be a hefty process. From caption sheets, extracurricular activities, awards, and finding the right pieces of work, it takes a toll. Various seniors have spoken out about their mixed feelings about the process. 

Senior Elizabeth Correa explains her thoughts about the portfolio.

“I feel this is not as important since we already know what we’ve done. But, it also reminds us of the good parts of our years,” she said. 

Senior Xochilt Chamu speaks from a different perspective. 

“I feel great about my portfolio. I believe it showcases my biggest accomplishments, growth, and who I am outside of the classroom,” Chamu said. 

The interviews consist of counselors, teachers, or staff from SAUSD asking students various in depth questions about their progress in school and career choice. Students are given the questions beforehand in order to prepare. They may ask you to describe yourself, your goals, and what you have done throughout the years.

Could these interviews be more helpful than stressful? Depending on your opinion, it could change the trajectory and feelings of the interview. Though it is important to remember whatever you may feel, feel confident and proud of all that you have accomplished. Do not allow the portfolio to drive you to a stress-induced state, but do place as much effort as you can. This interview is an opportunity to showcase your achievements and share those experiences with interview panelists who have come to witness the completion of your hard work.

April 21 is Senior Interview Day.  Classes are canceled for seniors as they prepare to make an impression. Many are seen sitting inside the I building, some preparing beforehand or chatting up with friends as they wait. 

Senior Miriam Mendez speaks of her thoughts before and after the interview. 

“Now that I’ve done the interview, I see why the school decides to do the interviews. Yes, I think it’s a great experience for the most part. I feel they want to see how much we’ve grown as an individual,” Mendez said. 

Senior Ritchie Gomez speaks about his thoughts on the interview and how it felt. 

“The interview was completely different than what I expected. It was made out to be more like an analysis of your past four years in Middle College, while I felt it was more of a conversation about the person you were during your academic career. Speaking to my peers, it seems like all of ours went very differently, and honestly, I’m glad they were,” Gomez said.

Though the portfolio was a very strenuous part of the year, we can see many seniors benefited from these interviews. The need to place yourself on the spot and speak to adults is nerve-wracking, though it allows for skills to be honed. Completing the portfolio allows for a better understanding of oneself as well. Academics is not the only thing you are focusing on, but what it has aided you in or any areas you have improved in. 

A few pieces of advice from your seniors.

“Do not wait until the last minute to complete your portfolio. There is a lot of information that will be completed and added. Consistently updating your portfolio throughout the year will save you the stress that was brought onto many of us this year,” Chamu said.

“I would say don’t overthink it, just be confident in who you are and I’m sure the interview will go smoothly,” Mendez said.

“To upcoming seniors, don’t stress about it too much alongside not putting the portfolio work aside,” Gomez said.

The portfolio may look as if it consists of pure academics, but it can also be a remembrance of what we should be proud of, not as students, but as people.