How do MCHS students feel about their sibling going to the same school as them?

Karla Godinez
Abigail and Bethany Vu, a pair of twins at Middle College High School, get ready to head into class.

The alarm goes off– it’s time for school. You are leaving home, but you are not alone. Your sibling is coming along with you. How does it feel that your sibling goes to the same school as you?

Siblings tend to share everything among each other. Some siblings share clothes, a bathroom, rooms, parents and some of them even share a school. Due to small age gaps between siblings, many students attend the same high school. But how do they feel about their siblings going to the same high school as them?

High school is a rough time for many people. It can be a moment of self-discovery and growth for many. According to data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, it states According to data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, during the adolescent years of a person, “psychosocial maturation aspects of identity” happen. Meaning that many adolescents find their true self and begin to mature;they learn to become more responsible for themselves. But how does having your sibling at the same school affect the growth of your identity?

A senior, who wishes to remain anonymous, expressed feeling stressed due to their sister being on the same campus as them and having the ability to report back to their parents.

“I feel like I am kind of restricted on what I can do because she is a big tattle-tale,” they said.

At MCHS, there are many siblings. Some are in the same grade and others in a different grade. You might know someone that has a sibling at MCHS.

Keyla Bautista, a senior whose sister is a freshman, explained that she found it easier to see her sister at school as their schedules outside of school were completely different.

“I honestly do enjoy it because I didn’t get to see my sisters as much prior to this year because of work and different activities, but I see her around more often so I really like that,” Bautista said.

Alike to Keyla’s response, junior Abigail Vu stated her feelings about having a sibling at MCHS.

“My sister hasn’t really posed any identity challenges for me. If anything, it’s been a really fun experience. We share the same friend group, so we’re pretty much always together at school,” Vu said.

Abigail’s twin sister, junior Bethany Vu tells her side of the story.

“I got to know her friends and she’s got to know my friends. With our distinct personalities, there really are no identity challenges,” Vu said.

Though these siblings seem to enjoy having their sibling at the same school as them, others don’t really mind, like the previous anonymous senior.

“I don’t really care that much because she doesn’t bother me. The relationship is alright, sometimes things are awkward,” they said.

These were just some of the few siblings at MCHS. There is a lot more. Each sibling gets along differently. But going to the same high school as your siblings is a unique experience that many don’t have.