“Home Alone”: The undisputed king of Christmas movies

Lesly Gonzalez (IPhone)
As the Christmas season commences, a “Home Alone” fan is recreating the iconic “AHHHHH” scene from the classic movie.

As the festive season approaches, it’s common to hear debates about the best Christmas movies. Hearing any answer besides the Christmas classic, “Home Alone,” may cause you to reply, “You’re What The French Call ‘Les Incompétents’.”

Countless holiday movies are released yearly during the holiday season, but none ever compare to the highest-grossing Christmas movie in North America, “Home Alone.” It was released in 1990 and has been the most-watched Christmas movie ever, surpassing “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.”

The movie revolves around an eight-year-old boy named Kevin McCallister, who is accidentally left behind by his family during the Christmas holidays. Kevin must fend for himself and protect his home from two burglars who are attempting to break in. The movie is filled with funny moments and heartwarming scenes that have made it a holiday favorite for many people!

Despite the movie’s financial success and widespread viewership, it’s not only these factors that make “Home Alone” the best Christmas movie of all time. It also conveys important messages about family, forgiveness, and the true meaning of Christmas that touch the hearts of many viewers.

Genesis Perez, the ASSETS Site Coordinator, recently selected “Home Alone” as a movie to view at the MCHS after-school lounge. “It’s a Christmas classic that always airs on free local TV channels. It also sends out a message about family and unity. Although family members may not always agree or may even have conflicts, at the end of the day, they still love each other, which Kevin learns after spending time away from them,” Perez said.

Perez goes on to express that if she were to convince somebody to watch “Home Alone” she would tell them that this movie is a: “feel-good film that offers a lighthearted viewing experience. It showcases stunning and picturesque white Christmas imagery while also delivering an important message about family unity and love.”

In addition to its heartwarming messages, “Home Alone” is an incredibly entertaining and enjoyable movie that can keep you engaged from start to finish. The film features an interesting plot that keeps viewers engaged throughout, making it the perfect choice for a fun movie night. Some might say that the most iconic and memorable scenes of the film are Kevin’s hilarious pranks that will leave everyone laughing out loud!

“Kevin’s battle plan with all those creative traps and pranks is just genius! These scenes stick with you and make the movie unforgettable! “Home Alone” overall is a perfect mix of comedy and heartwarming moments. The storyline of a kid outsmarting burglars is both hilarious and exciting. Plus, the holiday setting adds that extra touch of magic!” junior Abigail Vu, the social media manager of Film Club at MCHS, said.

Throughout the movie Kevin McCallister pulls a ton of pranks to avoid being robbed by Marv and Harry, the burglars. Some of the iconic pranks include putting micro-machines on the floor to trip them, heating up the doorknob to burn their hands, and dropping a heavy iron on their heads. Kevin also uses mannequins to create the illusion of a party in his house to make the burglars believe that his family is still home.

Perez’s favorite prank is the hot doorknob. “If I could pull one prank it would be the paint bucket on the rope, as to on who I would make my victim, I can’t choose! It’s too hard!” she said.

“Home Alone” is more than just a movie filled with funny pranks and festive vibes. It has a great soundtrack, memorable characters, and a sense of nostalgia that makes it a perfect Christmas film to watch with your loved ones. It’s so popular that it even has a sequel, “Home Alone 2: Lost in New York,” for those who enjoyed the first one.

As Kevin puts it, “Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.”