Seniors leave lasting impact on underclassmen

Fatima Carrera
Seniors create a caring community for underclassmen at MCHS.

With the second semester coming to an end for the class of 2024, college acceptance letters are coming in and students are thinking about the next chapter of their lives. That leaves us wondering, what about the underclassmen with whom they have built friendships with over the past four years?

As Middle College High School seniors prepare for graduation, it’s evident that their impact on underclassmen goes beyond academics. Through stories and reflections, it’s clear these seniors have created a culture of kindness and support within the school.

When asked to share a memory that left a lasting impression, junior Jeslyn Rodriguez recalled a time she was shown support.

“Having seniors like Alejandra (Leal) in my corner has been a blessing. I’ll never forget the time I confided in her with a secret I’d been carrying. Instead of judgment, she met me with understanding and support. In that vulnerable moment I felt good because I felt loved,” Rodriguez said.

Sophomore Jaylynn Gardia , reflects on her interactions with seniors that have made her feel included.

“Although I don’t have a specific memory, there have been multiple instances in which I interacted with seniors and majority of the time they are welcoming. All the seniors I’ve become close to provide a positive and inclusive environment where we can share jokes or mutual thoughts, even if we just met,” Garcia said.

Similar thoughts were shared by junior Abigail Vu, who highlights the admirable qualities of senior Karla Godinez.

“One senior, Karla Godinez, stands out for their dedication to their studies while also being incredibly kind and compassionate to everyone around them. Her hard work, positive attitude, and leadership in the National Honors Society have been truly inspiring to me and many others,” Vu said.

Vu also recalls a personal experience that acknowledges the inclusivity seniors contribute to.

“When I first started high school, I didn’t really know anyone. It was pretty lonely, especially in math class. But there was this senior, Jocelin, who invited me to join her group during math, and it made me so happy. It might not seem like a big deal, but to me, it meant everything. It made me feel like I belonged and it totally changed how I saw things at school. It taught me the importance of kindness and reaching out to others,” Vu said.

Addressing the graduating seniors, Garcia expressed her gratitude and well wishes.

“To the graduating seniors, your kindness and guidance have made MCHS a better place. Wishing the best for the next chapter in your lives,” Garcia said.