What is peer pressure?

Nataly Morales
Positive and negative peer pressure can influence the way you manage life.

When you think of peer pressure, the first thing that may pop into your head is negativity. However, peer pressure is not just full of negative remarks, it can be positive. This does not mean that all peer pressure is right. Some individuals may find themselves stuck in serious situations where they find it easy to fall under peer pressure.

Anyone is vulnerable to peer pressure. A desire for acceptance, validation, lack of assertiveness, and societal influences can make you more susceptible to negative peer pressure. Both positive and negative peer pressure can take a toll on your life; it can impact your academics or mental health.

Counselor Janet Montes shares how the people around you can be your main influences.

“You always get some sort of influence whether it’s at work or school. These are the people you have to see all the time. They can push you to do better or worse,” Montes said.

Peer pressure doesn’t necessarily occur at school; it can also happen on social media or even at home.

Negative Peer Pressure

Negative peer pressure has its own consequences: it can affect anyone, impacting the well-being of others or yourself.

Centerstone.org, a nonprofit health system specializing in mental health and substance use disorder treatments for people of all ages, shared in a recent blog post that approximately 90% of teens reported having experienced peer pressure.

However, it’s difficult to recognize peer pressure. There are many forms of negative peer pressure, implementing actions just to fit in or seem cool for validation from the people around you is just the beginning.

Sophomore Belen Estrada shares about what she has noticed among teen peer pressure.

“I have noticed more negative peer pressure mostly around teens who influence their friends into doing stuff they are not willing to do involving alcohol, drugs, or partying,” Estrada said.

Adolescents frequently encounter situations where they see others being pressured to take certain actions, which can impact their well-being.

Sophomore Jaylynn Garcia shares a few words of advice for those dealing with peer pressure.

“If you’ve fallen into peer pressure, figure out if the situation is helping you and if it’s not, reconsider those around you,” Garcia said.

Positive Peer Pressure

Positive peer pressure is a set of prosocial behaviors, leading individuals to seek better relationships with others.

Having a support system when dealing with peer pressure can empower you to make your own decisions and do what’s best for you.

“I don’t think peer pressure ever goes away, you just learn more about yourself to know what your own boundaries are,” Montes said.

Positive peer pressure can become a positive reinforcement that drives significant changes in your life.

Someone who influences you to do better and strive for what is good for you can be considered positive peer pressure. These may be the people you would consider keeping in your circle.

Montes shares what she’s noticed around peer pressure at MCHS.

“There is more positive peer pressure around MCHS than students may notice because it’s a small campus. It’s easier to find mentors, make study groups and be like ‘I know you want to play video games, but we have to get our priorities done’,” Montes said.

The people you choose to surround yourself with can have the most influence on you. The more time you spend with them, the more you surround yourself with their values and behaviors.

“Depending on the individual, peer pressure can go both ways. It can help people feel stronger about themselves or see themselves in a different light,” Montes said.