Welcoming Key Club to MCHS: What is Key Club?

Anthony+Nu%C3%B1ez+sells+pan+dulce+and+champurrado+with+Paola+Sanchez+to+create+funds+for+MCHS+Key+Club+official+recognition.+
Paola Sanchez
Anthony Nuñez sells pan dulce and champurrado with Paola Sanchez to create funds for MCHS Key Club official recognition.

During Open House, you and your family walked around checking out the booths and the goodies they had to offer. You smell the sweet cinnamon champurrado from a stand in the corner of the event. You take your parents to purchase a pan dulce and a champurrado because you are hungry from a long day.

Whether you were aware of it or not, you contributed to an essential club at our school. Those treats were on sale to fundraise for the recognition fee for Key Club. Because this club is so prestigious, there was a rather tedious process of joining the organization, but regardless, it is now at Middle College set to start next school year.

Key Club gives students leadership opportunities through community service work. Although many clubs are similar to Key Club at our school, the one thing that sets this club apart from the rest is the networking opportunities available because it is an international organization.

“I also feel like since our school is really small, we need to interact with people from different high schools, and this will give us the opportunity to meet more people and practice our leadership skills,” junior and vice president of Key Club, Anthony Nuñez said.

The president of this club, junior Paola Sanchez, talked about her motivation for bringing this club to Middle College.

“My motivation stems from seeing other high schools who also have Key Club. I want to bring back community, unity and opportunity to Middle College High School. I’ve seen all the fun and opportunities that they have had, and I feel like Middle College would really benefit from this,” Sanchez said.

There are opportunities to gain mentors through the adult version of the Key Club, the Kiwanis organization. They could share their experiences and help guide you through your journey.

There are already some students who are part of Kiwanis as high schoolers, like Jason Jaimes who attends Segerstrom High School.

“In addition, some other benefits of joining include team bonding, interpersonal skills, and opportunities to help and improve your community. Furthermore, joining this club can be a good way to make yourself competitive in college applications and even job resumes. Personally, this organization has offered me a lot of opportunities to improve not just myself but my community as well. There’s a lot more events and skills that I’m probably forgetting to mention, but overall, join because it’s a really fun and engaging experience to be a part of,” Jaimes said.

Since Key Club has been established in other schools, many students have already seen the benefits like connections to peers and mentors, community service, and other enticing advantages.

“Our advisor, Mr. Moss, told us that we could fundraise money to take an elementary class to Target, buy them books and go back to their class to read the books with them,” Nuñez said.

If you wish to join Key Club, there will be a meeting during this school year for more information about how to join if you haven’t already and what the club will focus on. The joining fee is $15, and if you have any questions, you can contact the president and vice president through the emails below.

President Paola Sanchez: [email protected]
Vice President Anthony Nuñez: [email protected]