Need a show recommendation?

Melanie Moreno (created with Canva)
Looking for a new show to watch? Are you a fan of Isao Takahata’s works? If so, consider watching Heidi, Girl of the Alps, an animated series based on the book Heidi: Her Years of Wandering and Learning by Johanna Spyri.

Looking for a new show to watch? Are you a fan of Isao Takahata’s works? If so, consider watching “Heidi, Girl of the Alps,”an animated show based on the book “Heidi: Her Years of Wandering and Learning” by Johanna Spyri. Released in 1974, the show is about Heidi, an orphan girl who moves in with her grandfather who lives in the Swiss Alps. Her curiosity, optimism, energetic character, and ability to make friends with animals and people alike make her likable to all audiences.

A couple of years ago I was introduced to the show by my mother, who had watched it as a child. I started watching the show and I found that I loved it as well. Recently, I started looking for something to watch in my downtime and when I was reminded of the show, I immediately started rewatching the episodes. In my opinion, it’s a bit slow paced but I love the characters, the music and the imagery. Something about the show puts me at ease and in high spirits.

Reviews made on IMDb by people who had watched the show in their earlier years shared their love of the show.

As I started doing some more background research, I realized that this animated show was watched all around the world, in different cultures, which I think is cool. One of the things I loved about this show was the simple animation style. When I first started watching the show I remember I was impressed by the quality of the show for how old it was. I loved the colors the show used and how it depicted nature, the animals, the Alps, the big trees, the wind, and the mountains. One of my favorite scenes is when Heidi goes up the mountain with the goats and sees the way the sunlight hits the mountains as the sun sets. It was a great moment that made me have the corny realization that there is beauty in the little things in life. The animation isn’t as impressive as animated shows today, but for 1974, it’s great and even adds personality and a sense of nostalgia to it.

The actual characters in the show make it even more lovable and entertaining. Heidi is depicted as a curious and energetic girl who loves being free. This is first shown in the first episode when she takes off the layers of clothes she has on in favor of running up the hill after Peter, known as Pedro in the Spanish version, and the goats. Don’t worry she is left in a white dress. As she catches up to them they smile at each other and then dance with the goats. The music played in the background, the way they dance along with the jumping goats, the scenery, and the depiction of Heidi’s character showcase her innocence and her longing for freedom and to explore new things.

Heidi spends her days with Peter, a preteen who takes the townspeople’s goats up the mountain. Peter lives with his mother and grandmother, who aren’t well off. His optimistic and lively behavior despite his home situation provides viewers a chance to laugh, think about real life issues and about how fortunate one is.

Along with the show’s ability to be enjoyed by people of all ages and genders, it can teach lessons to kids. In the second episode, “Grandfather’s Mountain Cabin,” Heidi has just moved in with her grandfather. As she gets situated, her grandfather helps her make a bed out of straw and carves wood into a stool for her, both of which Heidi appreciates and expresses her love for. This episode showcases one of the many lessons in the show, to be grateful and appreciate everything in life.

A big part of why I loved the show was the music and the sound effects. The introduction music is lively and cheerful and throughout Heidi’s time in the mountains, the sounds of nature are prevalent. Behind the grandfather’s house, three big beautiful pine trees make a calming rustling sound, something that is emphasized in one of the first episodes as something that Heidi enjoyed. I loved the way the show portrayed the sounds of rain, animals, and the characters’ excitement, anger, sadness, and happiness.

If this sounds like a show you might enjoy watching, I highly recommend you give it a try.