What the class of 2024 will miss about MCHS

Adriana Chirinos Gomez
The seniors on the soccer team taking a photo with counselor Janet Montes and soccer coach Mario Nieto.

The class of 2024 is the last class to experience the COVID-19 pandemic in their high school years. They experienced their freshman year online, which gave them a unique start to their high school experience.

Connecting with their classmates and teachers online was difficult and different. They had to do things differently because their sophomore year was technically their first year in in-person high school. As their senior year comes to an end, we are left to wonder what they will miss most about Middle College High School.

When asked to share the most important thing they learned at MCHS, senior Ashley Andrade mentioned the balance between academics and social life.

“I learned that although this was a very academic driven school, that shouldn’t deter you from having fun with your friends. Taking a break every once in a while is important. I love the small school community because it was easier to get to know the students and teachers,” Andrade said.

Andrade also reflected on this year’s prom.

“I think my happiest memory is prom. Although it was recent, it felt like our senior class was very united in the moment, and it made the night the most memorable. The fact that everyone was having fun made it feel like it was filled with happiness,” Andrade said.

Senior Angel Hernandez talks about the friendships he has made at MCHS.

“My happiest memories were the ones where all of my friends were together, cracking jokes. Whether it’s during lunch or bowling, or the movies, it never fails to make me feel happy,” Hernandez said.

When asked what he was going to miss the most, Hernandez reflected on what he had experienced and the people he had interacted with throughout these four years.”

“What I will miss the most from high school are my friends and teachers, who provided me with moral support and motivation. I will also miss the opportunities to participate in activities and events that made up my high school experience,” Hernandez said.

Senior Gabriel Cortes reflects on receiving support from the entire community, not only seniors.

“I will miss having somewhere to go. I will also miss the atmosphere, how nice it was to talk to certain people, underclassmen and upperclassmen as well. Overall, just talking to people, getting to know them. I liked seeing how we all adapted to a small school,” Cortes said.

As every senior goes their separate way, it is always nice to remember the community you were part of for a good chunk of your life. There is no doubt that they will all do amazing things, no matter where they go. Good luck class of 2024.