A resolution worth having

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Emanuel Negrete, Columnist

As you tune in to watch the ball drop in New York, and you prepare your New Year’s Eve traditions like the cider drinking or grape eating, the room grows louder with anticipation! As midnight hits, the room comes together and shares a bunch of empty promises that will most likely not even happen. “I’ll lose so much weight!” says your aunt, “But I’ll start tomorrow.” Year after year, people neglect their resolutions, but I have a resolution that isn’t too hard to do, and if you do it, life becomes so much easier. Every day, remind someone, anyone really, how much they mean to you because you never know when someone might need a reminder.

Everyone has a story, so everyone has their complications. We never truly know what someone is going through, but that isn’t an excuse to not show appreciation, especially during the holidays! The people you see every day, from the classmates you briefly see walking to their class to your best friends, they all impact your environment. And while you can’t go up to each and every person, make the effort to remind at least your own friend group.

And maybe you’ve already read this a thousand times, but I find the people who get sick of reading it are usually the ones to not do it. Words matter, and with the recent turn of events in the world, it is important that we promote positivity. With the rise of pessimism and depression in teens, you might feel like your words don’t matter or won’t make a difference, but trust me, they will. Positivity isn’t usually going to solve huge problems, but it certainly drives the solution and it gives hope.

So as the glasses are raised, and you head into the year with your hopes held high, assure the people you love that they truly have a place in this world. Life can get difficult, and when it does, it messes with our sense of self-worth. And if you’re the one who is in need of a reminder, I’m sure that if you take the time to remind your loved ones that they matter and share some love, they will return the favor.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “A resolution worth having”

1. Emily C. on January 29th, 2018 9:58 am

I like this article, it’s different. It is true that most people don’t actually complete their new year’s resolutions. But positivity and support is something you can easily do. Asking how someone is doing or just being there for someone does make an impact whether the other person shares is back or shows their appreciation. Thanks for the reminder Manny 🙂

[Reply]

2. Mrs. Peterson on January 29th, 2018 10:11 am

I love this! Being kind doesn’t cost a thing, and compliments make people feel good. Thanks for spreading the message!

[Reply]

3. Eduardo A. on January 29th, 2018 2:31 pm

Your article really spoke to me. It honestly isn’t that hard to do nice things to others. Making this article was a good decision. I really enjoyed reading this article good job. 🙂

[Reply]

4. Carlos G. on January 30th, 2018 10:09 am

I love your article because you are able to spread positivity and also and you tell us we need to support each other even if we don’t know the person walking passed you, because as you said it impacts our environment.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A resolution worth having

Columns

The Stigma Enigma

• A resolution worth having

Columns

Something Different

• A resolution worth having

Columns

Don’t fall victim

• A resolution worth having

Columns

Meeting the Columnist

• A resolution worth having

News

Senior Wizard Spotlight: Justin Salgado

• A resolution worth having

Features

What is stressing out MCHS?

• A resolution worth having

Features

Goodbye Middle College

• A resolution worth having

News

Stay safe on your college campus

• A resolution worth having

Sports

Wizards for Water take on the OC Half Marathon

• A resolution worth having

News

People march the streets to advocate for Workers’ Day

A resolution worth having