How to sign up for data corruption

Christopher Garcia

A student receives an error while using a school computer that is running Windows 10.

Christopher Garcia, Staff Writer

Microsoft, the company with the supposed best user protection, had its information servers breached by hackers. This led to information of millions of people possibly being sold to companies that could manipulate the data however they want.

Recently, the NSA (National Security Agency) discovered a major flaw in the Windows operating system that made it possible for hackers to trick people into giving them their information. Microsoft issued an update for the Windows software that fixed this problem the same day. Although it did not take long for the issue to be fixed, it still frightens people about how secure they really are. 

Sophomore Yarethsi Leal feels as though she can’t fully trust what companies say about what they do with this known information now.

“I still feel unsafe even after it was fixed because there could be a possibility that it could happen again or someone already has my information. This whole situation really ruins the trust between the user and the company,” said Leal.

Feeling unsafe about giving your information to a major company really messes with your mind in terms of what to trust and what not to trust. Our information is on multiple servers with different hosts that can access it. Your virtual footprint doesn’t just include stuff like what you search up or what you buy online, it also includes your personal information.

Sophomore Andy Guillen believes that information is more important.

“I think someone’s information is very valuable these days because it is basically your life in online files so if it is taken or deleted, it could be catastrophic towards the person,” said Guillen.

After these kinds of situations, technicians recommend that we all install a virtual private network (vpn) in order to prevent our information being stolen. Some people might think that they are fine without the vpn, and they might be right, but if you don’t like the chance of hackers being all up in your face, install a vpn.

Sophomore Darren Leang feels as though he is fine without installing anything to protect himself.

“No, I do not have a vpn installed or anything of that sort on my computer,” said Leang.

So next time you use a computer of any kind, remember that there is a chance that your data can be stolen so take every opportunity to secure yourself. ExpressVPN said, “If you wouldn’t want your mom looking through your web history, why would you let hackers?”