Not homeschooled, but schooled from home

Rebecca Guerrero

College student Francisco Guerrero, who is also this reporter’s brother, completes his schoolwork from home due to the switch to online classes.

Rebecca Guerrero, Opinion Editor

It’s a Wednesday morning and when you wake up, you leisurely walk to the kitchen and eat breakfast and go back to lay on your bed, but it’s a school day. It’s easy with all the classes being pushed online; there is no need to leave your bed —  all you have to do is open your chrome book and log on. Due to COVID-19, school sessions have been pushed online, but how does this affect students and what do they think about the odd version of school?

With this new version of school, many teachers had to come up with ways to teach and interact with students.

“Well the teachers are all doing different things but one thing is common- it’s obviously all online from the resources to the work with the exception of Camacho who has the math done in our notebook,” said sophomore Nicholas Ramirez.

Ramirez goes on to talk about how many of the assignments he’s been given by his teachers have been relatively easy to do and how the only real difficulties he’s faced has been being at home.

“It’s just kinda distracting being at home. That time you’d take at school to finish most of the work before you get home is gone so the vibes are different and unnatural. There isn’t much you can do otherwise and I think that it being online just kinda doesn’t vibe with me, but y’know what’re you gonna do about it,” said Ramirez.

Junior Robert Ayala also mentioned that the fact that we are doing everything from home with no one pushing us was a problem.

“It’s a very difficult transition because the home isn’t typically where a lot of students get their work done. A lot of the time we use our homes to recuperate and recover for the next day. There are plenty of distractions at home and lacking the physical aspect of the classroom has lead to a loss in motivation for students like me,” said Ayala.

When asked if he thought the number of people stuck at home with him would cause some difficulties in getting school work done, Ayala mentioned that he thought it would.

“I believe that it most definitely will impact the ability to get work done and stay productive because it adds on to the massive amount of distractions of the household,” said Ayala.

When talking about how his teachers were teaching the class, Ayala mentioned that his English class had groups. One of the hardest things normally is figuring out how to work in a group, but having to work in groups from home would have to be troublesome.

“Being exclusively online has made it difficult to come together as a group so it might as well be individual tasks assigned to one person,” said Ayala.

Working in groups is always a difficult thing because you are always having to communicate in order to do the work, but Ayala mentions that thanks to having to do it all from home has made it much more difficult.

Either way ,for the first time in our lives, we are being taught in an odd new way, and it’s up to us to get things done and learn something with the help from our teachers.

“It’s a difficult time and for them they are essentially watching some students lose a massive amount of interest and motivation in their lives towards education. I know that the teachers and staff are trying their best, and I thank them for their efforts but at the end of the day only so much can be done digitally,” said Ayala.