Lack of art electives at MCHS

Magaly Silva

Middle College High School is known for educating extremely intelligent and hardworking students, but it still lacks art electives despite the benefits of taking them along with rigorous courses. However, it is not the only school that lacks art electives. Studies show that, since 2001, instruction time for the arts in schools has decreased by 16 percent. Most schools try to focus on more academic subjects so they tend to overlook the arts regardless of how much their students need them.

Middle College students are incredibly accomplished, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they have the motivation to succeed. Many students have expressed that they feel as though they need to go to school instead of wanting to go to school. Research has shown that students who are enrolled in an art elective at school are more likely to be motivated towards their academic subjects, as well as more likely to enroll in a wider variety of subjects. This can create more well-rounded students, who not only understand more about themselves but also have a greater sense of understanding towards their future goals. Considering our school pushes us to choose a major quicker in order to get an associates degree, it seems quite important to have electives that allow people to understand themselves.

“Electives can help students discover their career paths. When there’s none provided for the arts, it can be harder for a student to decide whether or not to pursue that pathway,” Dulce Fuentes, Co-President for Art Club, said.

The fact that Middle College students are enrolled in more vigorous courses due to dual enrollment, it’s also important to have a class that creates a sense of relaxation for the students. It has been proven that music electives help students process their emotions better and in a healthier manner. With the amount of stress that our students carry, it’s necessary to know how to regulate our emotions and release them in a way that keeps us out of harm. Music electives are also proven to create more prosocial behavior and ability to sympathize with their peers which would help create a more accepting and understanding community.

“I think if students got the option to choose an art elective, they’d find more enjoyment in school. It would provide a creative outlet and encourage expression. It would also help students find their confidence and build their skills,” Fuentes said.

The amount of art clubs that have been formed at Middle College show how much the students here wish to have some sort of educational environment for their artistic hobbies. Fifty-three students participated in a survey in their seminar class that asked them what they felt about art involvement at Middle College. Despite the amount of clubs available to students, about 38 percent of students have said that they have no involvement in arts at school. This could be because of the amount of work they have for their other classes, and many clubs are only available after school which might make it hard for students who have other responsibilities to attend to. Even with the clubs, 79 percent of the students have said that they would like to have an elective art class available at school, with 56 percent saying they would like a music class, 50 percent showing interest in photography, and 42 percent making it known that they want a visual arts class. Thirty-four percent have said they would absolutely enroll in an art elective class and 32 percent said they most likely would.

It’s extremely clear that the students attending this school have a desire to have art electives available to them. Unfortunately, it’s the funds that are available to us that prevent us from having these electives. Thankfully, it seems as though we might be able to get more funds for art in the future due to a grant we could possibly be receiving. The funds might be used for art clubs, events, and maybe even an art class.

“Student participation is definitely there. It’s just the funds that are necessary right now,” Amy Holte, Art Club advisor, said.