AVID Scholarship rewards MCHS students

Picture provided by Elizabeth Alvarado

Seniors Destinee Rodriguez, Elizabeth Alvarado, Berenice Cortez, Rosario Molina, and Monica Gonzalez receive their scholarships at the AVID scholarship ceremony at UCI.

Lights dimmed as the AVID scholarship ceremony commenced at the Irvine Barclay Theatre at the University of California Irvine. Denise Harshman, coordinator of the event, began by recognizing all of the sponsors and volunteers that made the event happen. More than 60 students were awarded scholarships and over 1.9 million dollars were donated. Over 40 students across Orange County’s school districts were recognized as senior standouts of their high schools. One of those students was our very own senior, Destinee Rodriguez. As she walked down the stage to receive her certificate and medal, Ms. Nguyen listed her accomplishments while at Middle College High School. One of the many included receiving her American Sign Language Certification, Associate of Arts in Mathematics and Honors Associate of Arts. She will be pursuing a degree in medicine as she aspires to be a surgeon.

After all the senior standouts were recognized, the specific sponsors for each scholarship awarded students who won them. The AVID Kingston Technology scholarship  awarded $6,250 renewable scholarships for all four years. Six MCHS seniors were awarded this scholarship: Rosario Molina, Elizabeth Alvarado, Bernice Cortez, Monica Gonzalez, Destinee Rodriguez, and Miguel Marquez.

The Orange County Community Foundation annually provides AVID students throughout Orange County with an AVID scholarship, of $2,500-$5,000, to help them with their college expenses. The people and various organizations who fund this scholarship look for characteristics they are trying to reward, and reward the students that have these characteristics. To be eligible for this scholarship, the student applying must have been enrolled in the AVID program for a minimum of three years, been accepted to a 4-year college or university, demonstrated a commitment for their community, and shown that he or she goes above and beyond to get a higher education despite the obstacles.

Senior Monica Gonzalez was one of the lucky six that won the scholarship. On a day like any other, Monica walked into her second period and saw the envelope saying she had received the scholarship, just laying on her desk. To Gonzalez, winning the scholarship means that she has something to rely on when she goes to college, “It’s a confidence booster in a way, because I know that I can rely on that money.”

Senior Elizabeth Alvarado, the Co-Editor-in-Chief of this newspaper, did not want to apply for the scholarship, fearing she would get rejected, but won the scholarship when she decided to apply. To Alvarado, winning the scholarship “reminded me of the work I’ve put in these four years and knowing that for my mother, as a widowed mother, it is one less thing she will have to worry about…I’m very grateful for Mrs. Espinosa in particular and all MCHS staff that helped me emotionally and academically and were there for me at my lowest and could celebrate with me now.”

“I was honestly shocked that we all won a renewable $6,250 scholarship. I’m incredibly grateful for this scholarship and it has really motivated me to do better in my school work,” said senior Berenice Cortez.

Senior Miguel Marquez said, “It gives me a sense of accomplishment, sort of, like, ‘Wow, I did that.’ Also, it gives me a sense of security.”

These six seniors with all unique backgrounds and stories, all equally important, have demonstrated that with the help of their parents, counselors, teachers and everyone around them hard work pays off. The AVID scholarship would not be possible without the help of the Orange County Board of Education and all of the sponsors.