Emotional benefits cats have on humans

Andy Morales (created with Canva)
Cute fuzzy felines enjoy their lives and provide us with emotional benefits for our mental health.

Emotional benefits cats have on humans

In a world where there is constant stress, there’s a light of solace that our feline companions offer. Cats have been cherished companions in many households, offering more than just their playful antics. Recent research has highlighted the emotional benefits that these furballs have on us humans. Their presence alone can offer a sense of security and comfort.

The organization US Service Animals explains in their website, “Emotional Support Cats | Benefits & How To Register Your Cat”, how many individuals who live alone or face isolation due to various circumstances find solace in the companionship of their feline friends.

“Many who suffer from post-traumatic stress – such as women who experience domestic violence or soldiers who have just returned home – find relief by having an emotional support cat around,” said US Service Animals on their website.

Not only that, spending time with a cat can have a calming effect like your heart rate and blood pressure will decrease and your anxiety levels normalize.

Sheila Navarro is a 25-year-old single mother living with her three kids and Milo her furry friend.

“I feel less anxiety and overall a good positive attitude. I feel so special when I spend time with him,” Navarro said.

According to Clair Chesterman, in her,“Emotional Support Cats: What Are They, What Are Their Benefits, and How Do You Get One”, owning a cat can have a positive impact on mental health. Cats offer a routine and responsibility that can help combat feelings of depression.

“Taking care of another living creature might help you feel more connected to the planet,” Chesterman said.

The act of caring for a cat, such as feeding and grooming, provides a sense of purpose and fulfillment; which is particularly important for individuals struggling with mental health issues.

“I was going through a hard time with the loss of my husband then when I adopted Milo, I started getting back on my feet again,” Navarro said.

Psychologist Ruth Olivos shared how cats often display remarkable empathy when their owners are going through tough times.

“Cats offer a connection where they can show love and feel empathy toward their owner,” Olivos said.

Whether it’s the soothing presence of a purring cat, the joy of playtime, or the sense of purpose that comes with caring for them, cats have a remarkable ability to enhance the emotional well being of their humans. As these remarkable feline friends continue to offer love, support, and comfort, it is clear that the bond with humans and cats is one that brings immeasurable emotional value.